There are many types of headaches such as:
Occipital neuralgia, cervicogenic headache, migraine, hemicrania continua, paroxysmal hemicrania, chronic daily headache, trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias and cluster headaches.
Some of clear etiology and others that are difficult to explain.
For pharmacologic treatment, patients are referred to the neurologists.
For those patients whose pain is refractory to pharmacological treatment there are interventional treatment options like:
- Occipital nerve blocks
- Dorsal root ganglion blocks
- Radiofrequency of the dorsal root ganglion of C2 and C3
- Cervical facet joint radiofrequency treatment
- Radiofrequency treatment of the sphenopalatine ganglion
- Occipital nerve stimulation